Our Lifeboat (to be officially named the “Thomas Tunnock on 17th September 2016) is an 900W Rigid Inflatable Boat built by MST (Marine Specialised Technology Ltd) based in Liverpool. MST is the world’s leading provider of Rigid Inflatable and High Speed Workboats for military and professional use.
- Name: Thomas Tunnock
- Manufacturer: Marine Specialised Technology
- Model: 900W
- Crew: 4
- Length LOA: 9 metres
- Beam BOA: 3.05 metres
- Beam internal: 1.95 metres
- Draught: 0.7 metres or 1 metres to base of skegs at 100% fuel and 4 pax
- Displacement approx.: 2600kg
- Maximum speed: in excess of 45 kts (top speed to be confirmed)
- Fual capacity: 2 x 150 litres
- Range approx.: 150 nautical miles (173 miles or 278 km)
- Construction: Polyester Glass Reinforced Resin (GPR) construction using GRP protected marine ply under deck structure.
- Engines: Twin OBM Mercury Optimax 200 HP units modified with PIRS (Post Immersion Restart System)
- Survivor capacity: 12
Our Lifeboat comes home to the station for the very first time on the 28th July 2016.
A lot of hard work went into selecting the right boat for the new St Abbs Lifeboat station. Back in January 2016 a small team visited MST, toured their factory and then took a run out on the Mersey in a demonstration craft. Our coxswains were very impressed with the performance and handling of the craft.
“This is an ideal boat for the rescue work we are involved in at St Abbs and will increase the Search and Rescue capabilities along the Berwickshire Coast.” – Alistair Crowe, Chairman of the St Abbs Lifeboat.
Our model of lifeboat (MST 900W) is also operated by Maryport Inshore Rescue Service (www.maryportrescue.co.uk). Back in January 2016 our fellow lifeboatmen in Maryport kindly showed a small group of us around their boat and station.
If you would like to make a donation to the new St Abbs Lifeboat you can do it now on our Just Giving page